10 beautiful chapels in Malta for an intimate wedding
These chapels are small but significant, perfect for weddings with a shorter guest list.
St Matthew’s Chapel (Tal-Maqluba) - Qrendi
St Matthew’s Chapel in Qrendi chapel is built near a fault which was said to be formed by an earthquake in 1343, resulting in a sink-hole which gave it its nickname of Tal-Maqluba. The chapel was built in the 17th century.
Our Lady of Loreto Chapel - Gudja
The chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto was built in the 15th century. It was nearly demolished to make room for the enlargement of the airport in the late 1970s, but church authorities and the Gudja local council stepped in to protect it, and it is now a popular choice for weddings.
St Catherine’s Chapel (Tad-Dahla) – Rabat
The tiny hamlet of Santa Katarina in Rabat is built around this picturesque 16th century chapel, with beautiful views of the countryside.
Our Lady of Ransom Chapel (Selmun) - Mellieha
Selmun Palace was built by a charity which used to finance the redemption of Christians enslaved by Ottoman pirates, and the villa used to house a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Ransom. In the 1980s, a new chapel with the same dedication was built outside the villa.
Mensija Chapel - San Gwann
The curious name of Mensija (The Forgotten) Chapel comes from a legend about a farmer who found a long-lost triptych of Our Lady buried in his field. He then built the chapel to honour his find. The farmer then decided to give the painting to the bishop, moving it from its original place in the chapel into the bishop's residence. However, the following morning, the panel disappeared from the bishop's place, and was found in its original spot in the chapel. The incident happened over and over and the triptych remains there to this very day.
Holy Family of Nazareth Chapel - Bidnija
Bidnija’s Holy Family of Nazareth Chapel was built in the 1920s by mason Salvu Zahra, to serve the Bidnija residents’ spiritual needs. The church was built in just two years, with each family in Bidnija donating something to furnish the church.
The Chapel of the Immaculate Conception – l/o of Rabat
The secluded chapel of the Immaculate Conception was built by Grand Master de Vilhena in 1736. The chapel is located on high ground and surrounded by rolling fields, and, on a clear day, the view is magnificent.
The Chapel of the Immaculate Conception (Benghajsa) - Birzebbuga
The Church was built in 1822 by a Zurrieq priest, and was enlarged in 1862. Although it is private property, it is used by the Birzebbuga parish for the celebration of Sunday mass and feasts, as well as weddings.
Our Lady of the Snows Church (Tas-Silg) - Marsaxlokk
The Church of Our Lady of the Snows at Marsaxlokk was donated in 1933 by the Marquis Lorenzo Testaferrata and his sister Carmela Testaferrata Bonici. The friars built their monastery between the two buildings so that they now comprise one edifice.
Our Lady of Victories – Valletta
Our Lady of Victories was the first church and building completed in Valletta, Malta. In 1566, following the Great Siege of Malta, Grand Master Jean Parisot de Valette and his Order showed interest to build a church in the name of the Nativity of the Virgin as a form of thanksgiving; the construction was funded by De Valette himself.
View the full list of chapels available for wedding masses here.